Another great article from McKinsey on the pivotal role of the transformation office.
Many companies set up a project-management office (PMO), led by a spreadsheet-savvy analyst charged with tracking myriad transformation initiatives. Their transformation leaders attend PMO meetings, tick boxes, and generate reports.
A few key points:
- An effective transformation office will reinforce the transformation culture at all times.
- An effective transformation office will approve initiatives through a structured stage gate process.
- Transformation offices will be unflinchingly fact based.
- Transformation office meetings are not about presentations and grandstanding they are about removing roadblocks and keeping the focus 100% on the transformation agenda.
- The transformation must establish a clear set of rules for the valuation and evaluation of transformation initiatives and everyone must be trained on the use of the rulebook.